Friends of Bradfield Archives

Home | About | Workhouse | Sheffield Flood | News & Events | Enquiry | Links | Around Bradfield | Guestbook |

Bradfield Workhouse

Bradfield Workhouse was situated in what is now a row of cottages on Towngate in High Bradfield, near St Nicholas Church, and could cater for up to 60 inmates. It was built in 1769 and was in use for around eighty years until the new Wortley Union Workhouse was built at Grenoside in 1850.

The Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834 grouped parishes together in Unions, and Wortley Union, to which Bradfield had been assigned, was formed in 1838. From that time inmates in Bradfield Workhouse also came from the other parishes in the Union.

The number of inmates varied, with an average of 50, but there were occasionally up to 90, which must have been very crowded.

Those who were in the workhouse most often were women, the elderly and children. It was unusual for whole families to be there, perhaps only when the father was sick or unemployed. Those with mental or physical incapacity also often found themselves in the workhouse.

The following photograph shows the former workhouse buildings on Towngate, High Bradfield, around 1912.

Former Bradfield Workhouse around 1912

Below is the former workhouse building today, taken on March 11th 2010, the 146th anniversary of Sheffield Flood. The picture is taken from the opposite side compared with the 1912 picture above.

Former workhouse building, Towngate, Low Bradfield



Home Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Valid CSS! Cynthia Tested!